Honolulu Climathon 2019 is just a few days away, and we’re so excited! For those participating in the Hackathon portion on Saturday, or for those wishing to watch the pitch competition on Sunday, we’ve created a detailed schedule so that you can prepare for the big day.
Individuals and teams participating in the competition are allowed to work all day (and all night) Saturday at Impact Hub to refine your project. Please see our FAQs below for more details about prizes, food, parking, and access on Saturday and Sunday.
For those pitching in our competition, the final contest will be Sunday, 12pm to 1:30pm. You will pitch your idea in 3 minutes or less to a team of 3 judges. The judges are Chelsea Harder of Hawaiʻi Green Growth, Kalani Kaʻanāʻanā from Hawaii Tourism Authority, and Chris Barzman from Hawaii Ecotourism Authority.
Not pitching an idea for Climathon? No problem, there is still a lot of fun activities: you can join us at the following times for these public (non-Hackathon) events:
Saturday Public Events:
- 1pm WORKSHOP: Project Drawdown- Stopping global warming is possible, with solutions that exist today. In order to do this, we must work together to achieve Drawdown, the point when greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere start to decline.
- 4:30pm: WORKSHOP: Sierra Club: Lauren Watanabe- Discussing the intersection of Climate Action and Social Justice.
- 6:15pm- 8pm: Double Feature Film Night & Pizza Party. Dr. Darragh O’Carroll just returned from emergency response in Abaco Island in the Bahamas where Hurricane Dorian devastated the islands and will talk about his TV documentary series. The Human Element film will show after.
Sunday Public Events:
- 12pm-1pm: Final Pitches! Everyone is WELCOME!
- 1pm: Lunch & Judge’s Deliberation Time
- 1:30: Final Winners Announced
Many thanks to Hawaii Energy for being the lead sponsor for the event. Hawai‘i Energy’s mission is to empower island families and businesses to make smart energy choices that reduce energy consumption, save money and pursue a 100% clean energy future. Additional sponsors include Maui Brewing Company, Down to Earth, and Whole Foods Market. Our media partner for the event is Hawaii Business Magazine.
Climathon Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
+ What is a Climathon?
Climathon is a global event bringing together nearly 1 million participants from 300 cities around the world. This is a global event with inspired local action. Learn more in our blog post here.
+ Why should I pitch and what are the prizes?
Winners of the Hackathon are decided by a team of esteemed local judges on Sunday. The winning person/team for the Hackathon will win some great prizes, including 4 months of Unlimited Membership at Impact Hub HNL, 15 hours of mentorship from a group of mentors in Hawaii. The list includes Alec Wagner from Purple Maia, Lisa Kleisner, an impact investor and founder of Hawaii Investment Ready, and the founders of the Impact Hub Honolulu (Nam Vu, George Yarbrough, Anne Weber). The winner also receives an opportunity to pitch their solution at the Global Climathon finals in Paris, France, in early 2020.
+ What will the judges be looking for in the pitches?
Our esteemed judges have a set of criteria that they will follow to evaluate all the pitches from the Hackathon:
- FIT: Does the product address the prompt – will this reduce the impact of tourism in Honolulu?
- INNOVATION: Does the product introduce a new approach or perspective, technical, analytical, or visual?
- FEASIBILITY: Does the concept hold water and can it be reasonably carried out in Honolulu over the next 5 years?
- POTENTIAL FOR IMPACT: Will this project mitigate the impact of tourism in Honolulu and take climate action?” Team Are the right people involved or identified to help bring this idea to fruition?
+ What if I don’t have an idea but I want to participate?
That’s the beauty of Hackathons. People come with ideas, willingness to get involved, their own skills, and sometimes a team. The Hackathon is designed so that there will be an opportunity for people to join forces, and recruit new team members. Team formation happens early Saturday, so be sure to join early to find your people.
+ Do I need to bring food and drinks?
Just bring what you can’t live without. We have organized great food with the help of our sponsors Hawaii Energy, Down to Earth, Whole Foods, and Maui Brewing Co., we’ll provide lunch and dinner on Saturday, and baked goods for breakfast and lunch on Sunday. We’ll have water, coffee, and drinks available all day. We also have all the cups, plates, and utensils you’ll need. Just bring your reusable water bottle and your energy! All foods are vegan/vegetarian friendly! If you do get hungry or snacky, Whole Foods is just across the street, along with dozens of other restaurants in the Kakaako neighborhood.
+ Do I have to stay overnight? What about access?
If you and your team wish to stay overnight at Impact Hub HNL to work on your idea, you are welcome to do so. However, for security reasons, both the outside/building door and our door will be locked after the film event, and your team members will have to let you in. If you don’t wish to spend the night, please return on Sunday at 9am for breakfast and pitch practice.
+ Do I have to be there all day (24hrs)?
Nope! The Climathon is an optional 24-hour event. If you and your team refine your idea on Saturday during the day, there is no need to stay overnight. Please return for breakfast and pitch practice on Sunday at 9am. Molly Pierce from the Office of Climate Change, Sustainability, and Resiliency will be presenting on how to best communicate your ideas, so you don’t want to miss that key talk.
+ What is the Parking Situation?
Our parking garage is closed on the weekend. Do not enter the parking garage or you will get locked in! Please see our parking map here.
+ What do I need to bring?
Bring your ENERGY, IDEAS, and your TEAM! Otherwise, bring your favorite device, chargers, (phone, tablet, computer, notepad) that you need to brainstorm. We have super fast wifi, printers, pens, markers, and poster paper (and white boards) for creative drawing.
Any other questions: please contact us and we’ll respond right away!